Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I pay for the entire fare online?
***If you are making a reservation including a travel package with accommodation and or attraction, Yes, the entire fee will be prepaid online.
When reserving online to guarantee your passage, ONLY the reservation fee is charged. The full amount is displayed for passenger convenience. However, the full amount is to be paid upon arrival at the ferry terminal.
2. What time do I need to arrive at the terminal?
Walk on passengers: 20 minutes ahead
Vehicles in Victoria: 90 minutes ahead (**60 min for 6:10 sailing)
Vehicles in Port Angeles: 60 minutes ahead
***If you do not have a vehicle reservation, please phone the local terminal to find out when your party needs to be at the terminal for your desired sailing.
3. Why do I need to be in my vehicle 90 min prior to sailing?
US Border security requirements. All passengers are required to be in the vehicle during security checks. Failure to comply and your party may be declined sailing. Once security checks are complete passengers must remain in the compound of the terminal.
4. Why does the price change when I am paying in Canadian funds?
Rates are based in US funds. You may use Canadian funds at an exchange rate. All credit cards used in Canada will be processed in Canadian funds.
5. Where do I buy tickets for the bus once I leave the terminal?
There are two different types of bus transportation, sightseeing and public transportation. Please visit our transportation site for more information.
6. Can a child under the age of 12 take the ferry without an adult?
No, children under the age of twelve will not be allowed passage unless accompanied by a parent or guardian.
7. Is the ferry handicapped accessible?
Yes, for all passengers requiring extra assistance boarding, disembarking, or accessing the passenger deck, please notify our terminal personnel before hand- we'll be happy to assist you.
8. Are pets allowed on board?
Yes, the midship lounge and solarium are both pet friendly. Dog Kennels are located in the Solarium on the outer deck.
9. How long does the trip take?
Sailing time is approximately 90 minutes.
10. Can the ferry take all types of vehicles?
Yes, our vessel is able to accommodate all automobiles including, campers, trucks, motor homes, trailers, motorcycles, commercial trucks and tour buses.
11. Is smoking permitted on the ferry?
Yes, smoking is permitted on the exterior of the ferry.
12. Is their food service on the ferry?
Yes, the M.V. Coho features a cafeteria and gift shop where passengers can enjoy fresh baked treats.
13. Are you allowed on the car deck while sailing?
Access to the car deck is prohibited while underway, unless accompanied by a ship's employee.
14. What can Canadian citizens bring back into the Canada?
- After an absence of 24 hours or more, all Canadian citizens returning to Canada can claim goods (with the exception of tobacco products and alcohol beverages) with a total value of $200. If the total value of all goods is more than $200, duties will be paid on the full value of goods.
- After an absence of 48 hours or more, Canadians can claim goods (with the exception of tobacco products and alcohol beverages) with a total value of $800.
- After an absence of seven days or more, Canadians can claim goods (with the exception of tobacco products and alcohol beverages) with a total value of $800. A written declaration may be requested by Custom Officials.
15. What can U.S. citizens bring back into the U.S.A. ?
- After an absence of 48 hours, U.S. residents returning to the United States can claim up to a $800 worth of duty free merchandise (limitations on liquor, cigarettes and cigars.) This exemption is per person and may not be grouped together. If any value of goods is exceeded, the entire amount of merchandise is subject to duty fees.
- After an absence of 48 hours, an $800 exemption per person is applicable. The exemption may be grouped together with other family members and duty is applied to amounts exceeding $800.
TOP OF PAGE
Have we missed any questions? Please contact our Victoria or Port Angeles terminal.
Victoria, BC / Tel: (250) 386-2202 / Fax: (250) 386-2207
Port Angeles, WA / Tel: (360) 457-4491 / Fax: (360) 457-4493
last updated: June 04, 2012